Short Sale Chicago

Avoid Foreclosure. I Can Help.


If I do the short sale, do I have to pay taxes on the amount that was forgiven
(so called deficiency)?

The answer is basically NO, if you are selling your primary residence.

Please read more on the IRS website:

The Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act and Debt Cancellation

If you owe a debt to someone else and they cancel or forgive that debt, the canceled amount may be taxable.The Mortgage Debt Relief Act of 2007 generally allows taxpayers to exclude income from the discharge of debt on their principal residence. Debt reduced through mortgage restructuring, as well as mortgage debt forgiven in connection with a foreclosure, qualifies for the relief.

This provision applies to debt forgiven in calendar years 2007 through 2012. Up to $2 million of forgiven debt is eligible for this exclusion ($1 million if married filing separately). The exclusion does not apply if the discharge is due to services performed for the lender or any other reason not directly related to a decline in the home’s value or the taxpayer’s financial condition. Read more

This is not legal advice, please contact your attorney.

Sell with dignity, preserve your creditworthiness and start rebuilding your life.
I have helped many homeowners avoid foreclosure.

For more information and a FREE REPORT ON SHORT SALES please call

Barbara Pedersen

Realtor®, Short Sale Specialist
(708) 539-9900

or email:

February 9, 2011 - Posted by | Foreclosures, Selling, Short Sales | , , , , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: